GOVERNMENT RESUME SAMPLES > POLICE CHIEF RESUME SAMPLE
97 34th Street
Bloomington, MN 12345
(555) 555-5190 | email@example.com
Dynamic and Assertive Law Enforcement Officer with over 20 years of successive experience in managing investigations, law & order, security, public service, law enforcement training and police force activities. Profound knowledge in internal investigations, city council presentations, public safety programs, emergency response, policy & procedure development, budget planning & management and media & public relations. Adept at conducting investigations and diffusing potentially volatile situations with tact and diplomacy. Highly capable of directing and leading police personnel to meet law enforcement objectives coupled with exceptional comprehension of gathering evidence and complying with legal requirements. Exceptional communicator with notable success in management of operations focused on lowered crime, heightened security, strengthened productivity and overall quality of life across the community.
|CHIEF OF POLICE
City of St. Paul, Minnesota
|05/2010 – Present|
- Conducting complex criminal investigations which involve persons and property for a department with 78 sworn officers; analyzing crime trends in the state and developing a core plan to reduce criminal offences through a special law enforcement program.
- Developing strategies and plans to ensure optimal performance in oversight of uniform patrols, investigations, traffic community service, DARE, School Resource Officers and K-9 operations.
- Formulating departmental policies, regulations and program priorities to be followed by members of the Police and Communications Departments; preparing reports and recommendations for federal, state, and county agencies, Department of Transportation, and Department of Justice.
- Designing the concept of a police vehicle that incorporated law enforcement equipment and emergency service equipment for use in assault and accident situations; developing effective department programs to considerably reduce violent crime against people and private & public property.
- Instituting accountability practices, increased and enhanced departmental resources for major investigations and streamlined assignments which lead to successful part 1 offenses case clearance rates of nearly 40%, a one-third increase over previous years.
- Representing the City and Police Department and conferring with citizen groups and department officials to provide technical assistance, directly or through subordinate staff as well as preparing and administering of the department’s strategic plan, multi-year budget and annual budget.
|DEPUTY CHIEF OF POLICE
City of Bloomington, Minnesota
|10/2007 – 05/2010|
- Oversaw various department services and activities such as criminal investigation, public safety, law enforcement training, protective personal security and crime trend analysis; designed and implemented policies for hiring police officers and evaluating performance of more than 160 employees.
- Supported the high-ranking officials like Mayors, District Attorneys and Police Chief/Sheriff in supervising all department operations while efficiently allocating and managing $1.6M budget.
- Supported the Federal, State, and other local officers in the apprehension and detention of wanted persons and other agencies where activities of the Police Department are involved.
- Reorganized key departmental policies to reflect changes in the law following high-profile court cases that involved such issues as high-speed pursuit, search and seizure and domestic violence.
- Conducted arrests and interviewed suspects and criminals to solicit truthful information, prepared crime reports and presented case files to Chief of Police.
- Coordinated with special crime agencies to obtain assistance in difficult to resolve crimes while scheduling and supervising the work of police personnel on a daily basis.
Clearwater County, Minnesota
|03/2004 – 09/2007|
- Directed Special Investigations Division to include Communications, Northern Minnesota Auto Theft Task Force, Criminal Investigations, Physical Evidence, Intelligence and Enforcement as well as planned and budgeted over $12 million for operations and staffing expenses.
- Administered Judicial Services Division which includes Warrant Execution, Court Services, and Fugitive sections, and patrolled county streets and neighborhoods to deter crime and to arrest violators/suspects.
- Assisted the Sheriff to invent Employee Evaluation program that increased targeting of strengths and weaknesses and subsequently resulted in sustainable performance improvements.
- Monitored and investigated suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards and illegal happenings in patrol area; maintained excellent retention rate through fair, consistent evaluations and modeling effective on the job performance in both criminal and administrative matters.
|ASSISTANT CHIEF OF POLICE
City of Eden Prairie, Minnesota
|08/2000 – 03/2004|
- Handled major incidents involving acts of terrorism, high-risk criminal apprehensions, civil unrest, disaster response and other special events; managed patrol and selected investigative services to specific geographic areas of the city.
- Obtained increased budget from city government by preparing study to prove that new procedures would lead to major decrease in violent crimes.
- Established departmental policies and procedures, maintained budget, and administered city ordinances, and developed innovative community-oriented policing to improve trust and confidence.
- Interviewed and recruited qualified applicants to be police officers as well as conducted background investigations and validated information concerning applicants.
- Utilized tact and professionalism in responding to citizen complaints against officers and allegations of misconduct, applying corrective strategies on minor infractions and stricter measures on serious offenses.
City of Minneapolis, Minnesota
|05/1996 – 08/2000|
- Managed multi-level staff: Strategic Planning, Fleet Management, Public Information Office/Media and Executive Senior Secretary’s while assisting management and staff in problem solving, project planning, development and execution of stated goals.
- Investigated violations of state laws and city ordinances and arrests violators using degree of force necessary in accordance with state law and enforces traffic laws to curtail violations to department policy.
- Conducted accident investigations providing first-aid for injured, taking safeguards to prevent further accidents; interviewed principals and witnesses, taking written statements from drivers and witnesses.
- Provided complex office administrative support in the areas of procurement, budgeting, report preparation and staff communication; identified problems and reviewed related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Prepared and maintained records of prisoners and their status during booking and pre-trial process, and distributed complaint and emergency-request information to appropriate agency dispatches.
City of St. Paul, Minnesota
|05/1993 – 05/1996|
- Assisted the senior police officers in investigating complex criminal cases and provided them certain clues towards the cases.
- Patrolled the assigned zones or designated areas within precinct including government building, libraries and banks in order to prevent any kind of crimes or disruptions.
- Gathered preliminary information as responding officer on criminal calls, and prepared relevant reports to pass the information gathered on to the assigned investigator.
- Secured the scene of a crime or emergency by blocking off the area with barricades, ropes, etc., and by standing guard, in order to prevent damage, loss, or injury.
- Assisted investigator in case preparation and acted as criminal investigator for the department as required.
Bachelor of Science – Criminal Justice
Metropolitan State University, St. Paul, MN
1986 – 1989
Associate of Arts – Police Science
Carleton College, Northfield, MN
1984 – 1985
Commissioned Special Police Officer, Bloomington, MN
- Active member, St. Paul Consortium of Law Enforcement Administrators
- Former member, International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
- Advisory Board Member, Airborne Law Enforcement Association (ALEA)
- Former VP, National Association of Police Organizations (NAPO)
AWARDS & HONORS:
- Silver Star for Bravery award issued by The American Police Hall of Fame
- Merit Award for Excellent Arrest issued by The American Police Hall of Fame
- Officer of the Month Award issued by The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund