GOVERNMENT RESUME SAMPLES > CITY PLANNER RESUME SAMPLE
291 16th Street
Schaumburg, IL 12345
(555) 555-5190 | email@example.com
Highly organized and self-motivated City Planner with 12 years of progressive experience in municipal planning/community development primarily in county and city government complemented with expertise knowledge in environmental planning regulations & resources and modern practices & principles of city/urban planning. Profound knowledge in collecting, analyzing, interpreting and presenting environmental, zoning and other city planning data through effective field investigations, surveys and research skills. Extremely competent in engaging project sponsors or stakeholders to address environmental planning activities of water resources; storm water management and sewage treatment programs. Possess strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with the City Council, staff, and residents while efficiently negotiating with government officials, financial institutions and community organizations. Able to effectively develop relationships with municipalities, community stakeholders, regulatory bodies, commissions, local governments, contractors, property owners, fellow workers and the general public. Strong familiarity with Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD) programs and Geographic Information System (GIS) applications and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) regulations.
|SENIOR CITY PLANNER
City of Schaumburg, Illinois
|11/2011 – Present|
- Formulate and apply general plan, municipal code, zoning, subdivision and processing procedures to review the development project proposals and affordable housing projects/programs; review zoning approval for building permits, sign permits, and occasionally business licenses for various locations throughout the City for compliance with city zoning regulations.
- Advise architects, builders, contractors and the general public regarding the implementation and interpretation of applicable City development regulations; supervise the issuance of zoning clearances for applicants with minor projects not requiring Planning Commission or City Council approval.
- Discuss purpose of land use projects, such as transportation, conservation, residential, commercial, industrial, and community use, with planning officials; evaluate environmental impact reports applying to specific private and public planning projects and programs.
- Review formal applications, development proposals, construction plans and as-built plan applications for compliance with appropriate regulations and policies; participate in professional group meetings to know about new trends and innovations in the field of urban planning and affordable housing.
- Prepare and present staff reports for the Planning Commission, Affordable Housing Subcommittee, and City Council and attend meetings relating to development applications, variances, appeals, zoning amendments.
- Maintain and analyze data required for community planning as well as participate in the review development, revision and maintenance of general plan elements, environmental impact reports, plans, and ordinances and other policies and procedures.
City of Chicago, Illinois
|03/2008 – 10/2011|
- Reviewed applications for residential, commercial and industrial development; evaluate alternatives and conformance with City policies, ordinances, the General Plan and state and federal laws; prepared staff reports to the Planning Commission and City Council regarding the applications.
- Compiled, organized, and analyzed city planning data on economic, social, and physical factors affecting land use, using statistical methods as well as recommended governmental measured affecting land use, public utilities, community facilities, housing, and transportation.
- Acted as project manager for complex planning projects, including analyzing and evaluating site and architectural plans, performing technical review for project plans and applications and making appropriate recommendations.
- Coordinated with the City Attorney, City Engineer, building officials, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, and other officials in matters relating to planning and zoning and development in the City.
- Created long-range planning documents such as the City’s General Plan and other assigned plans as well as conferred with community stakeholders, property owners, contractors, architects and the public regarding conformance to standards, plans specifications and codes.
|PLANNING AND ZONING DIRECTOR
City of Aurora, Illinois
|08/2004 – 03/2008|
- Assisted with the preparation, revision and update of the City General Plan, zoning ordinance, subdivision ordinance, sign code and other ordinances that relate to City growth and development.
- Consulted with the public, developers, architects, engineers, realtors, and City officials regarding land use development, sign code, variances, general planning and zoning and subdivision ordinance information.
- Assessed and prepared reports/recommendations regarding land use, infrastructure improvement, environmental requirements and other matters; analyzed planning issues and determined project schedules and priorities.
- Attended the Planning Review Meeting for new development represented by various city departments such as engineering, building, power, police, water and sewer and fire departments.
- Conducted site inspections to determine the projects are in compliance with laws, regulations and ordinances; prepare written project analysis including identifying appropriate land use policy, design issues and environmental requirements.
City of Aurora, Illinois
|05/2002 – 07/2004|
- Reviewed construction plans for zoning conditions and initiate corrective enforcement action as necessary, and draft amendments to city ordinances designed to facilitate community development objectives.
- Prepared planning permit applications, planning scheme amendments and general planning submissions to relevant parties in compliance with the City Planning controls, regulations and legislation.
- Prepared monthly reports for staff recommendations to City Boards and Commissions for new development application; conducted inventories and research of various planning department land use matter and map results though the GIS.
- Performed long-range city planning, including developing and administering comprehensive master plan; discussed purpose of land use projects, such as transportation, conservation, residential, commercial, industrial, and community use, with planning officials.
|PLANNING AND BUILDING TECHNICIAN
City of Naperville, Illinois
|01/2001 – 04/2002|
- Interpreted and applied applicable state, county and local codes, ordinances and regulations; initiated actions necessary to correct deficiencies or violations of regulations.
- Developed strategies to promote economic and community development or efficient land use consistent with community goals as well as conducted review of various development applications including permits, site plans, variance requests and rezoning.
- Identified community problems, issues and opportunities in particular neighborhoods that could be mitigated through better community planning.
Kenny Construction Company, Illinois
|01/2000 – 12/2000|
- Assisted construction manager in preparing schedule for all projects and ensuring appropriate filing of all paperwork are done before the contract deadline.
- Identified all pipeline and access road locations according to various specifications and engineering drawings and ensure compliance with all federal and state laws for various activities.
- Maintained and documented reports on a daily basis regarding the projects assigned to various departments; progress, schedule, budgeting and forecasting.
Master of Urban Planning
Illinois University of Illinois, Champaign, IL
1998 – 2000
Bachelor of Science – Real Estate and Construction Management
Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, IL
1994 – 1997
- AICP certified planner
- NAHP certification from the National Affordable Housing Management Association
- Member, American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- Former Vice President, American Planning Association