GOVERNMENT RESUME SAMPLES > CITY MANAGER RESUME SAMPLE
5123 117th Street
Dallas, TX 12345
(555) 555-5190 | email@example.com
Results oriented City Manager with over twenty years progressively responsible experience in public administration managing responsibilities in local, county and state government. Demonstrated proficiency in coordinating programs and interfacing with professionals of all levels; coupled with strong ability to assess services and support, including human service programs and general information dissemination. Profound knowledge of the government policies pertaining to budgeting and accounting coupled with outstanding knowledge of municipal election laws and procedures. Highly skilled in city planning, economic development, and personnel management as well as possess strong concepts of all State and Federal laws and regulations. Good working experience on MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). Multi-lingual: Able to communicate in English and Spanish.
City of Carrollton, Texas
|12/2013 – Present|
- Planned, organized and evaluated the work of all City departments to ensure that operations and services comply with the policies and direction set by the City Council.
- Directed the development of the capital improvement plan budget for approval by the Council as well as monitored the implementation of adopted budgets.
- Facilitated internal and external communication throughout all levels of the organization, and conducted meetings with department heads and key management staff.
- Performed financial and managerial analyses for the Mayor and City Council pertaining to City operations and programs under consideration.
- Represented the Mayor, City Council, and the City at various meetings, functions, and events: served as a liaison to various civic or governmental organizations and committees, taskforces, boards, and commissions.
|DEPUTY CITY MANAGER
City of Fort Worth, Texas
|04/2009 – 12/2013|
- Supervised the fiscal services of the City including accounting, collections, budgeting, purchasing and financial reporting and auditing.
- Reorganized the City’s financial management structure and assigned duties and responsibilities to professional staff and implemented accountabilities.
- Assisted the City Manager with City wide effort to begin planning and strategy for developing long and short term financial and administrative goals.
- Coordinated special projects for the City, including the planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of construction/renovation projects, management studies, introduction of new programs.
City of Allentown, Texas
|11/2006 – 04/2009|
- Successfully developed and implemented three fiscal year city budgets representing a reduction of over $19 Million as part of an overall retrenchment management plan.
- Reorganized city services to better reflect expenditures related to the declining revenues of a distressed urban city, involving over 1000 employees.
- Consulted with city representatives on the actions needed to be taken to improve the society; organized general meetings of town representatives on the evaluation of their areas.
- Coordinated with public and private sector partners to develop alternatives to traditional city service delivery systems as cost cutting options to the city of Flint.
Legislative Budget Board, State of Texas
|05/2002 – 11/2006|
- Served as deputy to the Legislative Budget Board, responsible for providing staff assistance and policy recommendations to the Administrative Services/Personnel Committee of the Board of Commissioners.
- Served as budget director and liaison between county agencies and department heads, the Controller’s office and the Administrative Services/Personnel Committee.
- Assisted with the coordination and direction of county central services including Financial Services, Data Processing, and Purchasing and Properties.
San Antonio Charter Township, Texas
|10/1998 – 05/2002|
- Successfully negotiated three separate collective bargaining agreements maintaining employee relations, while simultaneously holding the line on employee costs.
- Discovered financial management policies and procedures that resulted in more cost effective and timely annual audits.
- Formulated a financial package which was used to construct a new township office complex.
- Developed and implemented a financial plan for construction of a fifteen mile water main extension.
Rural Economic Development, State of Texas
|03/1995 – 09/1998|
- Responsible for special projects and assisting the County Administrator with the daily operations of a full service county.
- Developed and implemented the county’s affirmative action plan for recruitment, hiring, and federal contract compliance as part of EEO responsibilities.
- Assisted with the organisation of conferences, seminars, meetings and other events on behalf of Rural Community Affairs.
- Developed and maintained filing systems for central and contract files, general correspondence, forms, reports, minutes, and other materials per direction and procedures.
|DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
Department of Administration & Regulatory Affairs, City of Houston, Texas
|07/1991 – 03/1995|
- Prepared correspondence for the City Secretary’s Office, the City Administrator, and the Mayor as required; compiled and prepared Council and Planning & Zoning Commission agenda materials for distribution.
- Administered all City elections which include posting and publishing of bills/notices in accordance with local jurisdiction while managing voting procedures during Election Day.
- Managed oaths and attested contracts, assessment certificates and other legal instruments when executed by the authorized officers of the City.
- Received and evaluated petitions, initiatives and referendums as well as verified applications and petitions on behalf of the City Council.
- Participated in all meetings of the City Council including preparing official minutes, records, laws, resolutions, ordinances and actions of the City Council.
|PROGRAM POLICY MANAGER
Health and Human Services Commission, State of Texas
|05/1986 – 07/1991|
- Prepared and recorded both hard and soft copies for all activities and decisions of the City Council and Redevelopment Agency and codification and maintenance of official City records.
- Participated in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitored and approved expenditures.
- Ensured accurate up-to-date filing of City ordinances, agreements, resolutions, and minutes of City Council, commissions, and committees.
- Monitored and evaluated the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
- Coordinated with other divisions, departments, outside agencies and the general public on behalf of City Clerk’s Office; negotiated and resolved sensitive and controversial issues.
Jubilee Park & Community Center – Texas
1986 – 1996
- Reviewed new cases and assign appropriate volunteers, in consultation with the executive director, and prepared and distributed assignment documentation.
- Provided assistance and consultation for volunteers as needed and when requested; attended i-service trainings and assisted with coordination if required.
Master of Arts in Public Administration
Oklahoma State University – Oklahoma City, OK
1985 – 1987
Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science
University of Texas – Arlington, TX
1982 – 1985
Public Administrator training program accredited by the National Certified Public Manager Consortium
Certificate in Public Management, Department of Public Administration & Policy 1988
- Executive Board, Texas School Public Relations Association
- Chairman, North Central Texas Council of Governments
- Commissioner, Texas Department of Natural Resources
- Past Member, National Association of County Administrators
- Vice President, Child & Family Guidance Center
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Community Economic Development Award from the Texas Economic Development Council (TEDC)
- Community Sustainability Program Excellence Award from International City Management Association (ICMA)
- Municipal Excellence Award in Management Innovations from Texas Municipal League (TML) Administrator of the year award from Texas City Management Association (TCMA)