GOVERNMENT RESUME SAMPLES > PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR RESUME SAMPLE
985 104th Street
Portland, OR 12345
(555) 555-5190 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Executive professional having more than 20 years of extensive experience in Public Works, Environmental Health & Safety and Civil construction field. Highly equipped in directing all phases of Public Works activities including road maintenance and construction, bridge maintenance, direction of engineering support, building and facility maintenance, vehicle and equipment maintenance, and coordination of recycling efforts. Possess strong expertise in planning, designing and delivery of multi-disciplinary capital improvement program for municipal facilities, transportation, utility and other infrastructure systems. Strategic leader with proven track record of building and leading effective cross-functional, multisite, and multi-business teams, driving change initiatives, and implementing EHS strategies. Able to manage and coordinate all construction activities and ensure that all project deliverables are achieved with regards to safety, quality, program and cost.
|DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS/CITY ENGINEER
City of West Linn, Oregon
|05/2012 – Present|
- Directing the Town’s Public Works operation which involves managing all phases of city/township public works, including storm sewers, fleet maintenance, public municipal facilities and road maintenance.
- Researching and executing improvements to the operation of the departments, formulation of policies, and coordination of activities in accordance with general policies established by the City of West Linn.
- Preparing the department budgets, controls expenditures and approves all requisitions; advised the Town Manager of all Public Works activities and problems.
- Overseeing the budgeting, maintenance, operation, planning, engineering and construction activities designed to provide quality water, wastewater and storm drainage services to the city.
- Planning and prioritizing the Public Works maintenance and construction programs including evaluating the operational challenges and preparing tenders and contracts for various Public Works activities.
|DEPUTY DIRECTOR – PUBLIC WORKS
City of Bend, Oregon
|02/2009 – 05/2012|
- Planned, organized and evaluated the work of contractors performing construction of capital improvement projects and other contract services for the Town as instructed by the Director.
- Prepared, approved and oversaw the management of division budgets which include reviewing, monitoring and approving expenditures and managing resolution of budget variances during the year.
- Implemented ongoing Health, Safety and Wellness program, OSHA compliance program, and division safety program(s), City Alcohol and Drug Testing Program.
- Ensured that the City is in continuing compliance with applicable laws and regulations, such as, but not limited to EEOC, Senate Bill 198 (Injury and Illness Prevention Program) and ADA.
- Administered the union contracts, including addressing grievances and recommending discipline, and enforced departmental standard operating procedures including City policies and safety rules & regulations.
- Prepared detailed management reports and conducted departmental analyses for various purposes, including intradepartmental, City Council, outside regulatory agencies, contractors, and the general public.
Legacy Health System, Portland, Oregon
|08/2006 – 01/2009|
- Developed auditing and training programs, metrics, and performance measurements in line with business strategy to drive accountability and change.
- Designed and implemented online EHS training delivery system for internal employees, resulting in $2.6 million in projected savings, estimated net present value.
- Reorganized corporate engineering team to align with business units and improve service to plants, resulting in increased internal customer focus and cost savings.
- Directed Multi-Media Programs including groundwater remediation; waste management; wastewater plant operations and solvent vapor extraction systems.
- Performed investigations and site inspections to determine environmental quality impacts of proposed new sources of pollution, and proposed land use activities.
|ENGINEERING PROJECT COORDINATOR
Columbia County, St. Helens, Oregon
|01/2004 – 07/2006|
- Prepared plans, standard specifications, cost estimates and bidding procedures for a variety of public works construction and maintenance projects.
- Developed unit costs of construction and maintenance activities through an accurate cost accounting system.
- Processed forms and drawings to obtain DSL, Corps of Engineer, NMFS, ODFW and other State and County permits as well as monitored and assured timely completion of assignments.
- Obtained quotes and bids for the purchase of materials and tools as needed for department; supervised the purchasing for engineering and facilities management related items.
- Produced reports and other technical papers as required for public works projects and programs.
Construction Contractors Board, State of Oregon
|11/2001 – 01/2004|
- Led and ensured all work groups are properly guided, in close cooperation with the Project Manager, in assembling and controlling the required resources such as manpower, equipment, materials and tools.
- Oversaw the construction of 12,000 sq.ft warehouse; completed within deadline despite extensive material delays, architectural design challenges and unexpected sub-contractor union disputes.
- Implemented a catch-up schedule for an Expansion, which was already 6 months delayed, thereby reducing the delay, minimizing the liquidated damages charged to the project.
- Planned, developed and organized the construction effort to formulate the most cost-effective plan to timely completion within budget and to implement the execution of that plan.
- Inspected work in progress to ensure conformity with QA/QC specifications and requirements, Industry Codes, Standards and Procedures, and provided technical advices to resolve problems.
- Advised the Project Manager in determining and procurement of tools and materials to be delivered at specific times in order to conform to the workloads, plans and schedules.
|ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY COORDINATOR
Environmental Health Registration Board, State ofOregon
|03/1996 – 11/2001|
- Planned and coordinated the development, implementation, promotion and evaluation of environmental programs to effectively manage natural resources and reduce the impact of the urban environment.
- Implemented all aspects of the (Organization Name) EHS program as it applies to the various divisions within QMLP; Scrap metals recycling facility, Transportation, Waste Management facility, Remediation job site, Emergency Response management, Abatement and Demolition job sites.
- Conducted over 250 safety training and accident prevention classes on various topics regarding worker safety programs in order to control costs; developed company loss control manual and emergency services protocol.
- Inspected 21 workshops and construction projects during 1995 Internal Environmental Compliance Assessment and Management Program (ECAMP).
- Managed base respiratory protection program for 185 personnel to ensure OSHA compliance.
Happenington Construction Company, Eugene, Oregon
|03/1991 – 13/1996|
- Supervise 18 project employees, including in-house, external contractors, and sub-contractors; inspected inventories and prepared orders for civil projects and refractory materials in line within the allocated budget.
- Built the detailed engineering of civil layout for the installation of Plant & machinery, construction of buildings, road grading & paving and fencing.
- Supervised construction, operations, and maintenance activities at project site and ensured conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Analyzed survey reports, maps, drawings, and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects; tested soils and materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel.
- Participated in site surveys to lay out installations and establish reference points, grades, and elevations to guide construction.
Master of Arts in Public Administration
Portland State University – Portland, OR
1987 – 1990
Bachelors of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering
Oregon Institute of Technology – Klamath Falls, OR
1980 – 1984
- Board of Directors, Public Relations Society of America
- Vice President, Oregon School Public Relations Association
- Former Director, National Association of Women in Construction
- Active Volunteer, National Multiple Sclerosis Society
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Environmental Merit Award from the US Environmental Protection Agency
- Public Works Department Awarded National Re-Accreditation award