GOVERNMENT RESUME SAMPLES > ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR RESUME SAMPLE
513 54th Street
Milwaukee, WI 12345
(555) 555-5190 | email@example.com
Results-oriented and strategic leader with 23 years of extensive experience in accomplishing remarkable outcomes in economic and community development. Highly skilled in planning, organizing and implementing economic development functions from conception to completion, including business retention, business attraction and incentive programs. Adept at coordinating with various political subdivisions and facilitating change in a community to support organizational objectives. Possess proven success in economic development program, budgeting and management, operational characteristics & services, cross-departmental project management, information technology utilization, human resources development, review and analyze data and deliver information in a comprehensible manner. Strong background in relationship management, team building and general business acumen coupled with significant track record of driving profitability gains and huge revenues within highly competitive organizations.
|ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
City of Appleton, Wisconsin
|03/2010 – Present|
- Strengthening industry visitation program and identified four industries with expansion plans resulting in over 200 new jobs with a capital of $1.5 million.
- Directing all services and activities of economic development including attracting increased capital investments and expanding and diversifying employment opportunities.
- Strategically deploying $15MM corpus of incentives for business growth while administering 150-loan historic portfolio and supervising of City’s federally funded workforce system.
- Supervising industrial recruiting activities including prospect acquisition; development and coordination of packages, and building relationships with internal & external economic development associations.
- Implementing economic development goals for the City and Redevelopment Agency, and coordinating with the development community, local businesses and various City departments and staff.
- Analyzing existing economic situations relative to business attraction and expansion; reviewing modern techniques for business attraction & retention and resolved sensitive and controversial issues.
- Coordinating with the Economic Development Committee to formulate and implement marketing and business attraction strategies, including familiarity with the goals and objectives of the organization.
|COMMUNITY & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
City of Oshkosh, Wisconsin
|12/2006 – 03/2010|
- Directed functions involving strategic planning and implementation; program development, implementation and coordination; marketing plan development; industrial park acquisition and development including prospect development and development and coordination of incentive packages.
- Successfully negotiated and prepared incentive packages that resulted in organization expansions creating 15 new jobs with an investment of $13million.
- Interviewed and recruited membership for Chamber of Commerce at County/Municipal level as well as amalgamated four local chambers and achieved membership to more than 300 members in the first year.
- Facilitated community meetings with county and municipal officials to substantially expand economic development budget by 150%.
- Established 140 acres of rural county-owned industrial property and 56 acres of private commercial property that initiated 20 new business opportunities, created 500 new job vacancies and over $15M in new investment.
|BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
University of Wisconsin
|08/2002 – 11/2006|
- Directed the complexities of business operations through recruitment, selection, and management of eight direct and 18 indirect reports including admissions agents, administrative support staff, and sales teams.
- Instituted Madison’s third annual IT scholarship program awarded to high school students as well as facilitated open lines of communication with Advisory Board members and shareholders comprised of distinguished business, religious, and educational leaders.
- Researched and penetrated local IT markets of Milwaukee that includes individual and corporate communities, realizing quarterly sales revenues of $160,000 to $280,000.
- Negotiated resolution of all outstanding issues without extra payment and persuaded customer to release additional funds to successfully complete the implementation.
|COMMUNITY PROGRAM OFFICER
Community Foundation of Central Wisconsin
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
|01/2000 – 07/2002|
- Planned and implemented local community-wide vision process involving 750 local citizens in an electronic town meeting which subsequently created a community vision statement and 20 community action goals for sustainability.
- Generated the conditions for youth-led participation in community improvement efforts which involved 150 young energetic people resulting in developing nation’s largest YMCA Earth Service Corps chapter.
- Cultivated relationships with various advocacies, policy and research organizations working on agriculture, land grabs and other areas; served as staff liaison between the national academies and panel members.
- Communicated Foundation project information to applicable parties such as policymakers, general community, additional funders, and specific professionals while providing public relations management and create Foundation literature and promotional materials.
City of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
|11/1997 – 12/2000|
- Managed task force in collaboration with a business consultant to formulate Council’s economic development strategy, and created a winning significant budget commitment from Council.
- Developed and implemented policies that support and encourage the expansion and diversification of existing business sectors in support of continued employment growth and area economic development.
- Established model for assessing applications used by a panel of representatives from private and public sectors, and local/state government which resulted in employment estimated at 90% from 15 businesses approved for assistance.
- Initiated a series of enhancements to the existing Local Area Development program; established a process for awarding grants, and developed a contractual agreement to govern grants awarded.
- Provided advocacy and synergy to new business owners/investors, industry, community services, and organizations; and coordinated with provincial and federal government bodies to share information, access resources and streamline delivery of service to the community.
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
|02/1994 – 11/1997|
- Assisted the Economic Development Director and seven City Council members to relieve the Director and council members of clerical, technical and administrative duties.
- Performed the day-to-day administrative activities and functions in support of the Mayor’s office, City Administration, Economic Development Division and the City Council’s office.
- Assisted in the preparation of Administration’s and Economic Development budget; verified the accuracy of budget information; monitored and controlled purchases and expenditures.
- Prepared a variety of correspondence, memoranda, reports, and other material including materials of a confidential nature; recorded and prepared minutes from a variety of meetings.
Eau Claire Area Economic Development Corporation
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
|02/1992 – 12/1994|
- Identified opportunities to provide professional decision-maker training on Alliance priorities using information gathered from Alliance states, Priority Issue Teams, and Coastal Training Program needs assessments.
- Gathered local and regional input and assess existing documents to determine the needs of both coastal communities and the Alliance Priority Issue Teams.
Master of Science, Economic Development
University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, WI
1988 – 1992
Bachelors of Science, Urban Planning
Marquette University – Milwaukee, WI
1984 – 1987
Certified Economic & Community Developer, International Economic Development Council (IEDC)
- Former Member, International Economic Development Council
- Board of Directors, Wisconsin Community & Economic Development Council
- Senior Fellow – National Environmental Leadership Program
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Environmental Merit Award from the US Environmental Protection Agency
- Public Works Department Awarded National Re-Accreditation award