GOVERNMENT RESUME SAMPLES > CITY AUDITOR RESUME SAMPLE
586 16th Street
Jackson, MS 12345
(555) 555-5190 | email@example.com
Astute and detail-oriented City Auditor with more than 16 years of progressive experience in performing professional auditing work including conducting financial, fiscal compliance, and operational audits of City departments together with assisting the City Council on municipal fiscal affairs. Proficient in developing and implementing audit methodology, including familiarity with obtaining and evaluating various sources and forms of evidence; standards, benchmarks, and testing instruments for measurement and evaluation; and risk identification. Highly competent in budgeting, performance evaluation, cost management, and asset management as well as expert at optimizing operational efficiency, reducing costs, and improving corporate profitability. Familiarity with the preparation of financial reports for organizations, including stockholders, creditors, regulatory agencies, and tax authorities, including financial analysis, planning and budgeting and cost accounting. Ability to analyze and evaluate accounting and auditing problems and to develop and recommend effective corrective measures. Recognized for demonstrating stellar leadership skills to achieve aggressive business goals and drive concept evolutions into achievable organizational plans.
CITY AUDITOR 05/2011 – Present
City of Columbus, MS
- Administer the overall financial operations by planning, organizing, directing and reviewing general procedures methods and results of budgeting operations, special assessments, the investment programs of the City, revenue collection, and expenditures control.
- Conduct surveys of potential audit areas and assesses city programs and operations to determine if established objectives, outcomes and expected performances are achieved.
- Develop annual audit program plans and timelines that incorporate identified Audit Committee and City Council priorities.
- Analyze data obtained for evidence of deficiencies in controls, duplication of effort, extravagance, fraud, or lack of compliance with laws, government regulations, and management policies or procedures.
- Supervise the revision and maintenance of City ordinance books and records all meeting of the City Commission; assure the assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget as well as effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, materials, facilities and time.
- Provide the City Manager with management consulting services directed toward identifying opportunities to enhance fiscal integrity and safeguard municipal assets.
ASSISTANT CITY AUDITOR 08/2008 – 04/2011
Lauderdale County, MS
- Supervised and conducted more complex audit assignments concurrently, ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
- Conducted confidential investigations regarding alleged improprieties as requested by the Mayor, City Council, the City Manager, or a department head.
- Investigated allegations of misconduct and violations of code of ethics on the part of officers and employees; initiated and conducted independent audits of financial records and financial control systems.
- Interpreted and enforced federal, state and local statutes, relating to fiscal management, with department heads and staff.
- Assisted in the coordination of the operating and capital budgets with the Finance Director and the Mayor’s Office, and followed budget expenditures during the fiscal year.
- Prepared state and federal financial reports, including the input of financial data into the DLS Gateway system to comply with the Department of Revenue reporting requirements for Free Cash certification and Tax Rate Recapitulation.
ASSISTANT FINANCE DIRECTOR 11/2005 – 08/2008
City of Jackson, MS
- Supervised various aspects of the department’s service responsibilities, which include budgeting, payroll preparation, accounts payable, utility billing, and business licensing.
- Managed audit staff support functions including departmental administration, professional standards, internal performance reviews and training and development.
- Assisted in developing official plans, policies and procedures and communicate these to City management staff, City Council, boards, commissions and the general public.
- Oversaw and maintained internal controls to assure accepted accounting and auditing procedures as well as City policies are followed.
- Monitored revenues and expenditures and provided progress reports on financial wellbeing of the City and effective use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials and facilities.
SENIOR AUDIT MANAGER 09/2003 – 10/2005
Department Of Housing And Urban Development
- Managed and led entire audit assignment process, including detailed planning of audit assignments, audit testing, and reporting in accordance with Internal Audit methodology.
- Documented audit findings audit reports, ensuring that audit issues are communicated and resolved as early as possible.
- Ensured that audit assignments are focused on key risk areas, and are performed efficiently and within time and expense budgets.
- Advised management on the resourcing requirements for the Internal Audit function, including any potential outsourcing arrangements.
- Performed audit tests and prepare working papers in accordance with professional IIA standards and FCU IA methodology.
- Established effective audit recommendations and follow up process to assess continuous accountability of management till corrective actions are implemented.
FINANCE MANAGER 05/2001 – 08/2003
County of Jackson, MS
- Directed the financial programs and supporting information systems of the company, including budgeting, receipt of revenue, expenditure of funds, and conservation of assets.
- Oversaw the approval and processing of revenue, expenditure and position control documents, department budgets, and the maintenance of accounts and ledgers.
- Controlled salary payments to staff, including national insurance and tax liabilities, reconciling the same and monitoring medical expenses, subsistence allowances, and mobile phone usage.
- Monitored the petty cash and bank balances to ensure sufficient funds are always available depending on the programme needs.
- Provided strategic consultation to management on financial issues, to include financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue and expense analysis.
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT 01/1999 – 04/2001
Mississippi State Personnel Board
- Reconciled financial ledgers and records; prepare financial statements and reports, general and subsidiary ledgers and supporting schedules; research and resolve discrepancies.
- Reviewed and audited all accounts payable, purchase orders, cash receipts, business licenses, payroll, utility billing, and other accounting records and transactions.
- Assisted in the review and validation of the annual City budget; created a variety of spreadsheets, documents, and graphs, and assisted in preparing the final budget document for approval by City Council.
- Developed the annual operating budget and consult with departmental management on the fiscal aspects of program planning, salary recommendations, and other administrative actions.
Corporate Accountant 08/1997 – 12/1998
Hancock Holding Company
- Assisted the Controller with the day-to-day, monthly and year-end operations of the Accounting/Finance Department including grant management and budget review and analysis.
- Managed the processing of cash receipts, recording of revenue and receivable and work closely with the Development Team to ensure that revenues and receivables in MIP are reconciled with Sales force data.
- Analyzed monthly general ledger account activity, journal entries, accruals, variances to forecast, fixed asset administration, and various employee benefit accounting.
- Performed the processing of functional and benefits expense allocations, monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, fixed assets depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries.
Master’s degree in Finance & Accounting
Jackson State University
1992 – 1994
Bachelor degree in Accounting
Delta State University
1989 – 1992
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS
Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP) 1999
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) 1996
Active Member, Certified Public Accountants Associates International
Prior VP, Professional Accounting Association
Volunteer, Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi